Compeer Financial Announces General Use Grant Recipients
Minnesota Ag Connection - 07/28/2020
Compeer Financial has awarded another 29 groups with General Use Grants to help fund initiatives that aim to enrich agriculture and the rural economy. It's part of the cooperative's Fund for Rural America giving program, in which over a million dollars have been dispersed throughout three states.
"Rural communities are facing extra hardships as they deal with the effects of the coronavirus," said Karen Schieler, senior corporate giving specialist. "These organizations give back to their communities every day, supporting agriculture, technology, education and the environment now more than ever. We saw many groups find ways to help those impacted by the pandemic in rural America."
The following organizations from Minnesota were among the grant recipients:
- Agricultural Utilization Research Institute: transforming an existing space at the Waseca Coproducts Pilot Lab into a certified food grade area
- Central Minnesota Vegetable Growers Association: general operating support for changes in service model for farmers markets due to COVID
- Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota/LSS Meals: the cost of providing extra meals to seniors in Southwestern Minnesota because of COVID-19
- Maple River Loaves and Fishes Food Shelf: replacing old tile flooring with new flooring and updating the shelving units
- Minnesota Agriculture in the Classroom: the development of robust resources, communication and data collection tools for Farm Camp
- Renewing the Countryside: conducting an online farmland access short-course for beginning and emerging farmers, and to provide one-on-one assistance from trained farmland access navigators
- Sustainable Farming Association of Minnesota: broad based short and long term technical assistance to local food producers, as producers are impacted by COVID-19